Vancouver, BC CANADA

Visit our website at awas.ca


Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tasting Note: Yalumba Organic Shiraz 2010


Now here is a little gem that I found hiding in the "Organic" section of my local Signature store.

Yalumba Organic Shiraz South Australia 2010 is a new release and I decided to try it.  I am glad that I did.

The price point was very attractive so I couldn't leave it in the store.  After finishing the bottle, I checked my receipt to make sure I wasn't mistaken about the price I remembered.  I wasn't.  And I actually went back to buy another one to be sure it was as good as I thought.  And it was.

So then I dug a little deeper.  My research revealed that the wine is made using organic winemaking techniques, is wild yeast fermented, with very little intervention in the process.  The grapes come from three family owned, organically certified vineyards in South Australia.

Sounds expensive, doesn't it?

"Ruby color. Smells like ripe plums, with a whiff of white pepper.  Blueberry and a hint of dark chocolate come forward on a nicely fruity palate.  Medium bodied with some fine tannins.  Bright acidity adds a zesty component.  This wine is really young and tight right now but it benefits from air, opening up nicely.  Flavors and finish both last.  Very Syrah and Very Good."  14.5%, Stelvin.

So how about only $17 at BC Liquor Stores?  It's a steal.  And I highly recommend it.

-Randy Saunders

No comments:

Post a Comment